Saturday, April 11, 2009

Mallomars Are Easter



Let me explain. My mama was one of those mama's that really DID up the holidays. Every Easter my sister and I would get ourselves a beautiful pastel wicker basket filled with good jelly beans, quality chocolate bunny rabbits, yellow marshmallow Peep chicks, a brand new stuffed animal (my sister would get a aqua blue ribbon trimmed one and I a pink trimmed one) along with our own box of Mallomars. Back then they came in two cardboard boxes and I'd usually have polished off an entire box, feeling slightly ill on the way to church.

We would also search in the morning for the Paas decorated hard boiled eggs that our mom would have hidden the night before.

A new purple or white dress from Sears my sister and I would be excited to wear along with the white patent leather Mary Jane's, since officially as of Easter Sunday, white shoes could be worn again.

Those times were like Normal Rockwell in so many ways. Of course things weren't perfect, but my mother had the ability to create tradition such that whatever was going on these holiday times were magical.

I appreciate these traditions, now more than ever. There isn't a box of Mallomars or a package of the yellow Peep chicks that doesn't fill my heart with the love my mama had for me and my sister.

Easter, Passover and Spring Equinox have this all in common: New Life thanks to Love.

We all have choice every day we wake up, to live our life anew. As the flowers begin to blossom, as the leaves begin to grow back, bring your favorite memories with you into your New Spring, into your New Life. Spring is a fresh start. Where in your life do you want that fresh start? It's yours for the taking! So go for it.

And while you're at it -bring along those mallomars!

Mallomars
In the US Mallomars [19] are produced seasonally at Nabisco. A circle of Graham cracker is covered with a puff of extruded marshmallow, then "enrobed" in dark chocolate, which forms a hard shell. Mallomars were introduced to the public in 1913, the same year as the Moon Pie (a confection which has similar ingredients). The first box of Mallomars was sold in West Hoboken, NJ (now Union City, NJ). Nabisco discusses it with a short story printed on Mallomar boxes.

Because Mallomars melt easily in summer temperatures, they can become difficult to find during the summer: they are generally available from early October through April. [20]Devoted eaters of the cookie have been known to stock up during winter months and keep them refrigerated over the summer. Seventy percent of all Mallomars sold are sold in metropolitan New York.

No comments: