Friday, January 2, 2009

Superpowers

"The great gift of human beings is that we have the power of empathy." ~Meryl Streep

I went with some new friends to see Slum Dog Millionaire. I love this film. Let me tell you that right from the get-go! And I needed to leave for a good chunk of it. I have had a really hard time, as far back as I can remember, being with violence or cruelty either in movies or books, not to mention in person! Here's why: I'm empathic. What the heck does that mean you ask? Webster's Dictionary says that empathic means "of or showing empathy." For me it means to feel things as though I myself am going through it. In spite of knowing that I'm watching a movie, reading a book, or hearing someone speak about their experience, I experience their pain as if it were my own. Sometimes it's a literal physical experience for me. At times it's so deep and powerful that it can be a little scary.

There is a great quote from the movie Bandit's where two main characters commiserate over how so many things affect them and one says to the other, "I think it's better to feel too much, then to feel too little." I loved hearing that because I have, for most of my life, felt a bit like a freak feeling all these things so strongly. I was fortunate that night at Slum Dog Millionaire, that my new friends were open-minded and accepting of me and what happened. They inquired kindly about it after we met up in the lobby afterward. They didn't make me feel bad - in fact one of them actually said, "You know what? I think that's your superpower."

I agree. It is my superpower AND with all superpowers one needs to learn how to harness and manage them properly. There are some fine tuned directions about how to navigate this gift and not be knocked about by it. The best teacher I've had in this department, not to mention a slew of other departments, is my coach, mentor, friend and "Guru on a mountain-top" Julie Cramer. Julie has been invaluable to me for so many of my healings and breakthroughs. She has been my North Star for much of my journey. She has taught me how to "surf" this gift -among others.

Her skills go beyond teaching. Yes, she instructs on how to handle the unique aspects that the gifts we have require but she also "sees" you in a way you have never been seen before. She is nothing short of miraculous.

I have had the opportunity to experience coaching from some of the best coaches available and what I have experienced with Julie is beyond my ability to adequately express. She is gifted with wisdom and empathy unlike I've ever encountered.

Please join me in welcoming her to her first event in NYC on Saturday, January 17. Julie's talk will begin at 10 AM at the Meta Center, with one-on-one readings following. I invite you to come and learn how to manage your gifts and superpowers. You will be moved and inspired. More details about it below.

Keep in mind that there are many other superpowers. Remember how many Super Heroes there are! Each with his/her own special talent.

If this doesn't sound like yours then allow yourself to sit still and sink into the quiet of your soul. I betcha you'll have it surface if you pose yourself the question.

Let it rise up this New Year. Allow it to surface so it may save you and the rest of us.

Here's to a Divine 09 for us all!

No comments: